osCommerce i.e. "Open Source Commerce" refers to a software program dealing with e-commerce and online store-management It is free software that can be used on any web server installed having PHP and MySQL, which is available under the GNU General Public License.
It is designed run on any PHP enabled web server, on any environment that PHP and MySQL supports, including Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows environments.
It assists the store owners to setup, run, and maintain their online stores with less effort and absolutely no costs involved.
HISTORY OF OS COMMERCE
osCommerce was launched in March 2000 in Germany by Mr. Harald Ponce de Leon as The Exchange Project.
Although it is still in an infant stage, the current Milestone 2.2 released is considered well established as confirmed by the most of stores across the globe which is tagged as, "powered by osCommerce."
The next version, that is, Milestone 3.0 is predicted to be an evolution of the current program to incorporate more special features like an object-oriented back end, a template system for easy layout changes, and an administration-area user name and password definition during installation.
KEY FEATURES OF OS COMMERCE
- Compatible with all PHP 4 versions and MySQL and all major browsers.
- Has Object oriented backend
- Multilingual, supporting English, German, and Spanish languages by default.
- Automatic web-browser based installation and procedures for upgradatio
- Has a Template structure implementation to:
1. allow design changes to be adaptive, easy, and quickly to make.
2. allows integration into an existing site
- Supports dynamic images (an image per product)
Backend Functionality(for administrators)
- Supports unlimited products and categories
1. Products-to-categories structure
2. Categories-to-categories structure
- Security of Administration area with a user name and a defined password during installation
- Provides support for both - physical (shippable) and virtual (downloadable) products
- Easy backup and restore of database and facility to print invoices and packaging lists from the order screen
- Statistics for products and customers
- Multi currency support by automatically updating the current currency exchange rates
Front end Functionality (for customers)
- All orders can be stored in the database for fast data retrieval
- Customers can view their order history and can maintain their accounts
- Facility of temporary shopping cart for guests and permanent shopping cart for customers
- Product reviews for an interactive shopping
- Forseen checkout procedure
- Global and per-category bestseller lists to help in selecting from the product range
- Display of what other customers have ordered with the current product shown
- Automatic setup of e-commerce payment systems through Authorize.net, 2Checkout.com, iPayment.de, PayPal.com, PsiGate.com, SECPay.com, and TrustCommerce.com.
- Has systems for both - off-line and on-line payment processing.
1. Adapted to almost all offline payment processings like cheque, money orders, offline credit care processing, etc.
2. Adapted to almost all online payment processings like 2CheckOut, PayPal, Authorize.net, iPayment, etc.
- Shipping modules based on Weight, price, and destination
- Real-time quotes available (by integration with UPS, USPS, FedEx, ..)
- Free shipping based on zone, amount and destination as part of Order Totals Module.
- Disable certain shipping services based on the zones
- Charges tax on shipping on a per shipping service basis
- Sets different tax rates for different products and also includes compounded taxes